Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:04:51 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Martyn Hill <m.hill@st-james-snrgirls.w-london.sch.uk>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I use the -h option in PW to set passwords fo rnew users

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 02:46:50PM +0100, Martyn Hill wrote:
> I need to set-up about 200 user accounts under FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE for the
> school pupil and staff population. We run Samba-TNG to share files, but need
> to create the UNIX users first. I intend to run a simple script to create
> the users with a pre-prepared password.
>
> I've looked at PW but can't understand how the -h option is supposed to work
> for setting initial passwords for new users. How do I specify the "file
> descriptor" as described in the man page?
>
> I've tried creating a file containing the password and specifying:
>
>     pw adduser ... -h /path_to_file_containing_users_password

You can use bourne shell to do that very easily:

    % echo "foobar" > /tmp/pass
    % su root -c sh
    Password:
    # pw useradd -n test -c "Test User" -m -h 3 3< /tmp/pass
    # grep test /etc/master.passwd
    test:$1$T2tu0BET$UGPrNB1FavzjlzhTwUWRN.:1002:1002::0:0:Test User:/home/test:/bin/sh
    # exit
    % su test
    Password:                                      [typed "foobar" here...]
    $ exit

The crucial bit is the '3<' construct: see the section on
"Redirections" in the sh(1) man page for details --- bash(1), ksh(1),
zsh(1) etc all support a similar mechanism, but csh(1) and tcsh(1)
don't.

You should probably use a file descriptor greater than 2 for this, as
fd's 0, 1, 2 usually correspond to stdin, stdout and stderr
respectively.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way