Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:54:40 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cpu upgrade, 486SX25 -> ?, feasible?

PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Due to various upgradings, a Zenith Z-Select 100, 486SX-25, has become
> available for me to use 24/7 for FreeBSD.
>
> Do I need to say it, it's slooooooow, especially where it counts, in
> compiling.  I am mightily tempted to upgrade the cpu.  I know that bus speed,
> disk access, etc. will be unaffected, but it's cpu speed (and lack of fpu?)
> that's really bogging things down.

This isn't really _freebsd_ related you know? ;-)

> I do realize that the right thing to do is go with a new mb, but that would
> require at least a new case and a video card, not to mention the new cpu.
> At the moment that's too costly an option.
>
> Anybody gone the upgrade route?  Any advice?  And in the event it should
> happen, is all that would be necessary before the swap is a to beild a new,
> appropriate, kernel?

We quite happily run a number of 486 class machines here, we know the
limitations before we set out (i.e. there not going to build the world with
any great speed - if at all). Our current firewall system is built out of an
i486-25's and it works fine... If you really are going to be compiling a lot
(remember FreeBSD has the pre-compiled 'packages' collections as well as
'ports') you might want to consider a faster machine...

Kp