Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:26:21 -0700
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: switching the ctrl key to caps lock

And j mckitrick spoke:

> I figured out how to do this in X, but does anyone know if this can be done
> for console mode as well?  And if so, how?
>
> jcm
> --
> "I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates

There is a program called kbdcontrol which loads a keyboard map file,
normally located in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps.  I took the one I preferred,
us.emacs.kbd, copied it to us.joseph.kbd, and switched these two lines from
this:
  029   lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl   O
  058   clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock   O

to this:
  029   clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock  clock   O
  058   lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl  lctrl   O

Change the keymap by running:
$ kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/your.keymap

I also put this in /etc/rc.conf:
### Load my customized keymap ###
keymap=us.joseph.kbd

Joseph