Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:03:15 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On 2001-11-15 14:42:31, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> Well,
> I just started "make buildworld", and guess what the start of the output
> says? :
> #####
> root carrot:/usr/src# make buildworld
> rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/i386
> #####
>
> So, I guess make does it for you, at least in theory!

If you read the comments at the top of /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 you will
see among other things:

    # $FreeBSD: src/Makefile.inc1,v 1.226 2001/11/15 07:09:00 matusita Exp $
    #
    # Make command line options:
    #       -DNOCLEANDIR run ${MAKE} clean, instead of ${MAKE} cleandir
    #       -DNOCLEAN do not clean at all
    #       -DNO_KERNELCONFIG do not run config in ${MAKE} buildkernel
    #       -DNO_KERNELCLEAN do not run ${MAKE} clean in ${MAKE} buildkernel
    #       -DNO_KERNELDEPEND do not run ${MAKE} depend in ${MAKE} buildkernel

(this is for the RELENG_4 version of the file, for -CURRENT or older
RELENG_x versions you might find it's slightly different).

These are flags you can pass to make(1) to control what is done when
you run `make buildworld'.  Try out some of these options, like:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make -DNOCLEAN buildworld

and see how this changes the buildworld procedure for yourself :)