Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:32:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, mdf@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: replace vm_offset_t with uintptr_t and vm_size_t with ?size_t

John Baldwin wrote:
 > The cpuid type thing is quite a sordid affair at the moment.  The canonical
 > type for CPU IDs is actually a u_char (see td_oncpu) with a NOCPU constant
 > (0xff) used to denote an out-of-band value.  Some newer APIs use 'int'
 > instead I think due to making room for larger CPU ID values than fit in a
 > u_char.  I would probably settle on 'int' myself and not bother with a
 > 'short'.

Just an observation:  Machines that could -- in theory -- run
FreeBSD are already quickly approaching that u_char limit for
the CPU ID.

For example, the Sun Fire X4800 (quite common in larger data
centers) supports eight Xeon 7500 packages which have eight
cores plus hyperthreading, which gives a 128-way SMP system.
Solaris, Linux and Windows support them, FreeBSD doesn't.
(This is not related to u_char CPU ID, though, but rather
to cpumask_t.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum