Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:19:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Richard Balue <balue@olympus.apolloi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing . . .

On 4 January, 1998, at 17:00 (GMT)
Richard Balue <balue@olympus.apolloi.com> wrote:

> HI,
> I am not clear about one thing in term of upgrading or
> installing an newer version.  Is it possible to keep all
> current information on the drive in an upgrade?  Or is
> upgrading going to repartition the drives (basically reformatting)?
>
> I have version 2.1.x and need to upgrade to 3.0 snapshot, what
> is the best way to get there?

Don't know about 3.0, but I've upgraded from 2.0.5 to 2.1.5 to 2.1.7 to
2.2.2 to 2.2.5--and not lost a single piece of my own data.  When you
upgrade, you are thrown into the partition editor, but you merely need to
mount the existing file systems; you don't need (nor should you
necessarily) repartition anything.

I'm assuming (without bothering to investigate) that 3.0 uses the same or
similar upgrade procedures.  If so, you should be safe.

Of course, backing up what you value most deeply is always wise before
upgrading, since anything can happen.

Also, you'll probably want to print out two pieces of information before
you begin.

1. Your current hardware configuration (the kernel config file should be
   sufficient, or the output of dmesg(8) may do as well).  If you have
   anything installed in a place the generic kernel won't find it, you'll
   need to adjust the kernel's configuration when you boot off the
   installation floppy.  Having the current configuration of your hardware
   in front of you helps.

2. /etc/fstab, so you don't have to remember which slice maps to which file
   system.

I invariably forget to print them out, and then have to reboot and go get
them (while swearing at myself) as soon as I get to the partition editor
during the upgrade.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do nothing,
but together can decide that nothing can be done.
        -- Fred Allen