Date:      13 Jan 2007 04:50:49 -0000
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        andrewgould@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: [OT]  advice on wikis and bulletin boards

>for group editing of documents.  I've noticed that wiki's have become very
>popular; but I'm not sure how well they facilitate discussions.
>
>Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I've found them very useful.  If you already have PHP and mysql
installed, I encourage you to use Mediawiki.  I resisted installing it
because it does so much stuff that I assumed it would be a pain to set
up, but it turns out to be one of the easiest packages I have ever
installed, stick it in a directory visible to the web server, point
your browser at the startup page, answer a few questions, and poof!
you have your wiki.

Someone else noted that wikis can turn into "spaghetti balls" which is
true.  It definitely helps if there is someone whose job it is to
impose order on the wiki and reorganize it when it gets too messy.