Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 01:44:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: losing controlling terminal

groggy@iname.com writes:

> > > I suspect it's a bug in lynx (or something). It's ignoring HUP signals
> > > and EOFs while doing raw I/O from the terminal, so it sits there
> > > getting an EOF and not being happy about it. Use gcore to get a core
> > > image or use gdb on the process to figure out where it is and what
> > > it's doing. Then fix it :->.
> well - no - it's not lynx, cuz it happens with BSD ftp, telnet, talk,
> etc, etc, with everythign as far as i can tell.
> FBSD doesn't seem to understand:
>
> no user/tty = kill user processes.

Well, I don't see that behavior. Then again, I don't run things from
Windows.

> i don't know if it's related, but i can
> also kill Xwindow quite often, and yet - BSDI
> Netscape 4.73 is still running - doing the same
> kind thing in terms of gobbling up all available
> CPU time in the background after the controlling
> terminal is gone.

That doesn't sound like a Windows problem :-). Possibly you're
enabling nohup somewhere along the way?

I do remember going to strange contortions on BSD 4.x (adding
/dev/cia, which killed you if you persisted from reading from it, and
code to point file descripters aimed at closed ttys at /dev/cia) to
deal with this, but that was easier than fixing all the things with
bugs like I described.

One of the symptoms is that the context switches go ballistic when
this happens, because each syscall to read does nothing but two
context switches.

It would still help to do the debugging bit (not on Netscape, though)
to see what the process is doing.

	<mike