Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 10:05:07 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The State of Illinois Vs. FreeBSD - One guy's tale.

On 14 May 99, at 9:32, Ray Seals wrote:

> I wanted to get custom plates for my car.  I found that FreeBSD was not
> taken so I sent my check into the Sec. of State.  I received a call from
> them this morning asking what did "FreeBSD" mean.  I explained that it
> dealt with computers (older lady).  They told me that they were rejecting
> my request.  They then explained that they were rejecting it because
> "FreeBSD" could be thought to mean "Free Base".
>
> Bummed.

There is also a chance that the lady could be thought to be
intelligent.  Neither seems very likely, somehow.

There should be an appeals process.  Ask about it.  Also, the little
old lady has a supervisor... ask for the supervisor's name and politely
go above her head.

If that fails, you could ask for your next license place to be "fsck".

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow.