Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:07:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Robert A. Decker" <decker@robdecker.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mailman on FreeBSD?

Has anyone succesfully installed Mailman on FreeBSD? I pkg_add'd mailman
and it installed Python as well (as well as a slightly later version of
Apache which I probably didn't need).

I'm able to run Python from the command line. However, when I try to do
any Mailman functions I get an error. For example:

adsl-63-198-218-205% /usr/home/mailman/bin/check_perms
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 46, in ?
    from Mailman import mm_cfg
ImportError: No module named Mailman

I've gone over the documentation, but it's lacking - especially for doing
a simple pkg_add since I don't quite know the state of things. For
example, I would have expected the 'mailman' user and 'mailman' group to
have been created during the pkg_add, but it wasn't. Further, I see
nothing in rc.d, assuming there needs to be some sort of Mailman script at
that location.

Anyone install it successfully, and if so, any tips?

BTW, all that I'm trying to accomplish is to get mailing list software on
my server and to have a web interface for users as well as for
administration. If there is an equivalent piece of software for majordomo
that you know of I'd just as gladly use that.

thanks,
rob