Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:02:15 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Eric <eric@astria.tek-shop.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping a local collection of port sources

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:05:31AM -0800, Eric wrote:
>
>>hello...
>>
>>I'm trying to set up a local storage area for all of the ports and packages
>>including sources and tarballs. I have the CD set, and I want to copy
>>everything to a dir on a spare hard disk, so when I do a pkg_add or a port
>>make install, it has a local copy of the code and just compiles it.
>>
>>I can't find out how tell the ports system to look at a local directory
>>rather than the CD.
>>
>>This seems simple in theory, and I'm sure it's nothin new, but I'm missing
>>something. Any ideas?
>>

> Look in /etc/defaults/make.conf for MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE

I have a couple of slow machines (P-II 400, and P-200) and I created a
ports/packages/All and started doing "make package" instead of "make
install" on the faster machines. When I do an pkg_add from ../All, it
adds any local copies first. The port system already looks in
/usr/ports/distfiles for source. It appears to me that the mechanism is
there without changing anything.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart