Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:16:49 -0700
From:      Matt <mhersant@comcast.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum question

Matt wrote:

> Bernd Walter wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:50:20AM -0700, Matt wrote:
>>

>>> I have a two disk array that I want to move to another machine.  It
>>> is configured with striping using vinum.  What is the best way to
>>> set it up under a new machine?  Should I simply load the old
>>> vinum.conf file and enable vinum?  Thanks much for any help.
>>>
>>> drive disk1 device /dev/ad5s1d
>>> drive disk2 device /dev/ad6s1d
>>> volume stripe
>>> plex org striped 256k
>>>   sd length 114470m drive disk1
>>>   sd length 114470m drive disk2
>>>

>> Vinum should find and use the existing configuration.
>>

> Well,  it hasn't been that easy.  The new machine is running 5.3.  At
> boot I receive:
>
> panic: umount: dangling vnode
> / /when vinum loads at boot.  I get around this by starting vinum from
> rc.local.  The vinum device node (named stripe in this case) isn't in
> /dev/vinum.  Do I need to create it on the new machine.  I placed the
> old config file in /etc/vinum.conf.  Is vinum supposed to create the
> nodes automatically?   Thanks much.

tmodel# vinum list
2 drives:
D disk2                 State: up       /dev/ad6s1d     A: 114470/114470
MB (100%)
D disk1                 State: up       /dev/ad5s1d     A: 114470/114470
MB (100%)

0 volumes:
0 plexes:
0 subdisks:

Do I need to recreate the volumes?  Vinum can't seem to find them.  Hmmm.