Date:      Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:33:56 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        mohsen@pahlevanzadeh.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp isn't there

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:

> Dear all,
> i have FreeBSD6.0 .I haven't /dev/dsp
> I can't create dsp with devfs.FreeBSD remove MAKEDEV since FreeBSD5.0
> Please guide me on devfs & create /dev/dsp
> Yours,Mohsen

MAKEDEV is deprecated; if you have no /dev/dsp, it's likely
because you either have unsupported audio hardware, or,
even more likely, you haven't loaded a driver that matches
your hardware, so devfs doesn't bother to create a device
entry.

Try placing
            snd_driver_load="YES"

   in /boot/loader.conf --- this will cause all known sound driver
modules to be loaded into your kernel at boot; then reboot and
show us the output of dmesg, e.g.:

    # grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
If you put your supper dish to your ear you can hear the sounds of a
restaurant.