Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:10:47 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just a little persuasuion, that's all I need (convert me to FBSD)

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 09:16:00AM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
> > I have been using a mixture of Linux systems and FreeBSD,
> > although not the latter as a desktop.
>
> it works well, i'm quite happy with my FreeBSD machines. linux handles 3d
> better though, but i doubt that's what you're after.

3D is not high on my priorities,

> > Without going into details I have become increasingly fed-up
> > with Linux, more specifically with the distribution I have been
> > using, as a desktop. I have no beef with Linux itself, but just
> > the nightmarish world surrounding it.
>
> out of curiosity, what distrobution is that?

SuSE

> > What I want is:
> >
> > - I will shortly be online 24/7 with an ASDL connection, so I want a
> >   firewall.
>
> FreeBSD offers two fine stateful firewalls: Darren Reed's IPFilter, and
> the native IPFW. turn on one of your FreeBSD boxes, and read up.
>
> > - I want to run a small mail-server. I do not want to run an externally
> >   accessible DNS however.
>
> take a look at the various options for locking down your DNS in the named
> pages. i highly suggest getting the DNS/Bind book from o'reilly.

Oh that is ok, I know how to do that; I am just painting the picture :)

> that, or you can also stick the DNS behind the firewall, and filter out
> that bit of traffic.
>
> > - The firewall must let anything out, and web, ftp, ntp and ssh access
> >   in. I have a firewall machine using Smoothwall, but I have not yet
> >   had time to do much with it.
>
> easy enough, read the ipf.conf (5) and ipfw (8) man pages. you may also
> want to take a look at /etc/rc.firewall for some of ipfw's firewalling
> syntax.
>
> > - I want at least one of the machines (see spec. below) to be capable of
> >   running a stable desktop, WindowMaker and KDE/Gnome.
>
> yes, FreeBSD can do that aswell. just install it from the ports.
>
> > - I don't want hassles with hardware compatibility.
>
> no choice. if you're worried about HW issues, run windows.

Well to be precise, I want useful information on hardware, not hearsay.

> your best bet is to take a look at the hardware compatability list for the
> version of FreeBSD you intend to install. it'll be on the cdrom, or in the
> web site: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.4R/hardware.html. this is not
> technically cannonical, since this may change during the development of
> -STABLE
>
> > - I want access to an easy update mechanism, particularly with regard to
> >   security.
>
> check out cvsup (1).
>
> > - I want access to a bug-tracking/status system for the OS.
>
> on the web pages, although you can have a local copy of the database. the
> bug tracking system is called "GNATS".
>
> > I know FreeBSD runs on my other computers, but the main power computer I
> > have I have never tried it on. It has the following specification:
> >
> > Asus TUSL2-C Motherboard/Intel 815EP Chipset
> > 80GB of IDE storage
> > 20GB SCSI using a Tekram DC-390U2/W adapter
> > 512MB P133 memory
> > Matrox G450/32MB AGP 4X Video
> > Soundblaster 1024 Live sound card
> > USB connected printer and scanner (both Epson models)
>
> take a look at the hardware list above. i've had few problems getting
> freebsd installed, and supporting my hardware, but you never know.
>
> please also check out our other fine mailing lists for some more of your
> answers: FreeBSD-security, FreeBSD-network, and the rest may have more of
> your answers.

Thanks ! I have been on this list quite a while, so I am reasonably
familiar with the general precepts of FreeBSD ..

--
Regards
Cliff