Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:06:45 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (off Topic)Two drives on primary controller

I currently am at a complete loss. I have been trying to add a second hard
drive to my fbsd boxes (plural!) I have a Gateway 2000 P90, a Dell Dimension
P100, and a noname with an AB-PX5 MB.

I have tried to install a Quantum, Seagate, IBM, Fugitsu, and Western
Digital drive in each of them. I have bought new cables, changed cable
positions, changed jumpers (advised to TRY none/slave master/slave
master/none) according to the manufacturers website directions.

I have tried LBA on/off were the bios allows, ignored the bios and let fbsd
find the drives, set the drive cyl,sec,etc according to the drive specs.

Generally the bios never sees the drive, when the rare occurance of the bios
identifies the drive, the box hangs before it boots.

I don't believe this is a fbsd problem as I never get far enough to do an
install. I'm not a complete idiot as I have several fbsd boxes running just
fine here and three development boxes at work that are doing just great. The
development boxes all have 3-4 scsi drives running, but the factory
installed them.

I need some hand holding from someone who knows how IDE controllers and
drives work. I've had lots of 'try this' advice with no luck to date. All
the boxes were running Windows fine before but shipped with single drives.
The drives I have are both new/never used (fugitsu and WD) and used (Seagate
and Quantum)

<whine>
I just want to add a drive, is that too much to ask?
</whine>

Thanks,

DAve..... remembering his mac days, slap it in, reboot, done.

--

"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions
who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting died"