Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 19:36:35 +0400
From:      "Andrew" <ami@lycos.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Boot managing FreeBSD and X Windows Managers

Hello people!

Recently for the first time I has installed FreeBSD 4.5 STABLE. To
accidentally not to damage information with my HDs, I has disconnected them,
and on the place Primary Master has connected my oldest 2 Gb HD, and I has
installed the FreeBSD to it. I used installation for "dangerous mode" of
fdisk (use HD without DOS partitions). Except this HD in the system was
connected CD-ROM as Primary Slave. Installation and primary testing my
system pass successfully. Now I should like to restore my former computer
configuration with including FreeBSD disk to use double loading my two
OSs (such as Windows and FreeBSD).

My disks (ATA) such it's:
Primary Master - 1st HD on Windows (FAT-32);
Primary Slave - CD-ROM;
Secondary Master - 2th HD on broken to 4th part (FAT-16 as logical disks D,
E, F, G);
Secondary Slave - 3th HD for FreeBSD.

I used "dangerous mode" of fdisk when installing FreeBSD that disk expressly
for this on which it is installed, for was not "seen" it under Windows and
possible preserve former location of logical disks under Windows. So and has
occurred. (There seen by DOS-disks C:, D:, E:, F:, G: and CD-ROM - either as
was previously.)

I be aware of possibility to use for double loading OSs the FreeBSD
bootloader or Boot Loaders third companies, for instance, System Commander
(I used its repeatedly). From mans and other FreeBSD documents I know that
it uses a physical location HDs, without using information BIOS and other
tricks with the transposition of disks. Question now in that, will I be able
do load FreeBSD when I DO NOT REINSTALLING it? From documentation I not to
was able to understand that possible changing a physical location (probably,
with ad0 to ad3) for my FreeBSD HD through doing a changes on FreeBSD
configuration files, on which installed FreeBSD. This is my first question.

The Second question: how to choose and change Windows Manager under X? Can I
create several runnable desksides for using X, for instance, KDE, Gnome,
AfterStep, gwm and other and load their alternately?

Please, at answers cite an instance of configurations files because I is
beginner on FreeBSD :-(

Beforehand thanked for answers.

Sincerely yours,
Andrew Mikitenko