Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:01:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Peter <stefan@evil.ki.iif.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Virtual Memory question

--0-1147329000-1017986460=:29381

Hi All,

Though I'm not member of this mailing-list I was advised to write here to
get some help in the deep details of FreeBSD virtual memory management.

My problem is that I have written a small piece of code (the heart of all
problems :-) which tries to determine the total physical memory, free
physical memory, swap and free swap. I used sysctl() calls to obtain
virtual memory statistics: vmtotal. I use FreeBSD 4.5.

When I ran the code I experienced the following:

> ./a.out
Physmem: 1069248512
VMem: t_vm 2149661375 t_avm 11974 t_rm 254525 t_arm 3188

I.e. the total virtual memory has been extremely large in comparison with
total real memory. I'm not sure I have done the right measurement, but I
found no other virtual memory statistics, than vmtotal.

I also tried to use kvm interface without any success.

I have put my (very basic) code in the appendix.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Peter Stefan

--0-1147329000-1017986460=:29381
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--0-1147329000-1017986460=:29381--