Date:      Fri, 02 May 2014 13:55:56 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        bycn82 <bycn82@gmail.com>, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: feature of `packet per second`

On 5/1/14, 12:02 AM, bycn82 wrote:
> On 4/30/14 23:45, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM, bycn82 <bycn82@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bycn82@gmail.com>>wrote:
>>
>>     On 4/30/14 23:01, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>>         On 4/30/14, 8:52 PM, bycn82 wrote:
>>
>>             Hi
>>
>>             `packet per second` it is easy to be implemented using
>>             iptables, there is a module named `recent`, but in using
>>             ipfw, Do we have any solution to fulfill it? check the
>>             link below
>> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42933&p=258441#p258441
>> <https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42933&p=258441#p258441>;
>>

>>         since I don't use linux.. what is "packet per second"?.. does
>>         it report it or set a limit on it?
>>

>>              bycn82

>>     Yes, "Packets Per Second"means limit a connection based on the
>>     packets number, for example, If I allow 2 ICMP packets come to my
>>     server in each individual second.  only the first 2 packets will
>>     be allow, all others in the same second will be dropped.
>>

>> ​For ICMP, specifically, there's a sysctl to control the rate (per
>> second):
>>
>> # sysctl -d ​net.inet.icmp.icmplim
>> net.inet.icmp.icmplim: Maximum number of ICMP responses per second
>>

>> For everything else, you'd want to use dummynet(4).
>>
>> --
>> Freddie Cash
>> fjwcash@gmail.com <mailto:fjwcash@gmail.com>
> Thanks for your reply,  and it is good to know the sysctl for ICMP.
>
> finally it works.I just added a new `action` in firewall and it is
> called `pps`,  that means it can be generic purpose while the
> net.inet.icmp.icmplim is only for ICMP traffic.

you probably should be using the dummynet extension to ipfw to do this
but post your changes to a freebsd bug report anyhow so we can keep it
somewhere.
I doubt it would be needed in general as Dummynet give you so much
more control and is I think a superset.
Don't forget to add a patch for the man page....  a patch with no man
page change would never be accepted.