Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:50:56 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>, ipfw@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

[as I don my pointy, er, UUNET hat..]

> Louis, have you looked at the pppoe node? (as you are the author
> of the RFC I'd like your comments)

I've looked at the PPPOE node and the pppoed daemon code recently
check in.  I'm going to try to set up a FreeBSD test environment in
my lab and play with it.  We just moved a few weeks ago, and are trying
to recover from the chaos of that :-(

> Is uunet implementing pppoe yet? I notice all our dsl line s are still
> 'routed'. (can you select which method to use with each custommer on a
> line by line basis?

Yes, though its generally only deployed these days for the consumer/residential
product, rather than the business service.  That reflects what was there
first (the business service using what was available, IP/RFC1483/ATM or
IP/RFC1490/Frame Relay).  I don't know that it's easy to choose between
the two, based on the back-end provisioning and OSS software that "knows"
how each of the various products are supposed to be configured.

The real driver for the PPPoE development was to support large scale
deployments for residential/consumer users, and to support a resale
model like we do on our dial network.

louie
(a.k.a. louie@UU.NET)