Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:56:14 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error: "Maximum file descriptors exceeded"...

At 5:34 PM -0800 2000/2/29, Doug Barton wrote:

>  	I used to run 2.2.x machines with maxusers at 512. That number on
>  3.2-Release will not be a problem.

	I have since gotten confirmation from Joe Greco that MAXUSERS >
128 is a very real problem on 3.2-RELEASE.  I figure Joe knows a heck
of a lot more about FreeBSD than I am ever likely to know, and he
certainly knows a lot more about Diablo (the application I was having
the problems with) than I ever will.

	This is why he is the person giving the talk at SANE 2000 on
building world-class USENET news services with commodity components
(scalable from 300k users to millions of users, and starting at 1.8TB
of storage, see
<http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2000/daily/25/greco.html>), and not
me.

>  	First rule of system administration, never leave yourself without
>  options.

	It would be nice if the real world allowed people to actually
follow such rules.

--
  These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>       Sys. Arch., Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin

Note: No Microsoft programs were used in the creation or distribution of
this message. If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible for any harm you may encounter as
a result.

See <http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/twelve-step.html>; for
details.