Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:56:49 -0700
From:      George Davidovich <freebsd@optimis.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting multiple choice, and pause to read bootup info

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 08:19:22PM -0500, J. Porter Clark wrote:
> 1. I'd like to be able to expand the list of choices in the
> boot menu (the menu with single user mode, safe mode, etc.) to
> include booting in any of several different environments, e.g.,
> home wired, home wireless, work wired, work wireless.  Hacking
> the FORTH code isn't entirely out of the question, but before
> I even try it, I need to know how I could tell the system to
> switch among different rc.conf files (if that's even possible)
> from the loader.  Offhand, I don't see a mechanism for doing so.
> Cleverer ideas welcome.

I did something similar for PXE scenarios but eventually decided I was
spending more time coming up with clever ideas than I would have saved
making use of any of them.  The approach I took was to write a custom
loader.rc (with an include for each of the possible options), but IIRC
everything was presented via a rudimentary menu.

For customising the existing menu, if you read through loader(8), and
then have a look at what's provided in /usr/share/examples/bootforth,
you should be able to figure things out without too much trouble.

--
George