Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:23:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      <nick@FERALMONKEY.ORG>
To:        unknown@hades.riverstyx.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 unknown@hades.riverstyx.net wrote:

> I guess I'll toss something in here... I was a Linux guy for quite a
> while, ran a lot of servers with Linux, got pretty familiar with it... and
> then I tried FreeBSD.  And it was really great, as far as initial
> installation and getting new software to work on it.
>
> The kernel configuration is easy to use, and actually pretty cool the way
> you can have multiple profiles and stuff.  The ports collection is
> probably the single coolest thing I've ever seen in a distribution.  No
> Linux distro has anything that comes close to comparing to that. On the
> plus side, it appears to be really nice and stable as a web server or mail
> server, no problems encountered there.  Software installs seamlessly on
> it, whereas on a Linux server half the time I have to go in and tweak some
> minor environment variable or some such because every distro's a whole new
> breed.  It was a matter of running 'make install' to go from a console
> only machine to a fully functional X-windows machine with Enlightenment
> installed.
>
> Unfortunately, it's irritatingly arcane in certain areas, and some parts
> of it are utterly ridiculous (the partitioning system.. who made that
> up???).  If there were more documentation, and a better directory
> hierarchy it'd be a whole lot better.  Also, if the TCP/IP stack was a
> whole lot better, and a whole lot more useful, that'd be a big plus.

"whole lot better"? Offer constructive suggestions. And how exactly might
it be made "a whole lot more useful"?

> Check out the features that Linux 2.2's got going right now.  It's also a
> lot harder to get FreeBSD to interoperate with other OS'.  In Linux, if I

Define interoperate.

> bring up a standard distro, it's trivial to mount and work with the
> filesystems of other OS'.  FreeBSD gave me grief about the way I'd
> partitioned my first drive, and totally corrupted my second ext2 drive. It
> didn't want to touch my second partition on my first drive because of a
> missing label problem, and the fdisk program was crippled in usability
> compared to the partitioning programs that even MS-DOS comes with.
> Browsing through the kernel source, a good deal of that code is just weird
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and idiosyncratic.  Like that whole 'root/swap/whole disk/other stuff'
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This depends entirely on the perspective of the person viewing it.

> partitioning scheme that you appear to have to use.  The process of making
> a new filesystem newfs program is painful and unnecessarily complex when
> compared to the mkfs style programs that Linux comes with.  NFS didn't
> work all that great with my Linux or Solaris NFS servers or clients.  In
> fact, it was totally non-functional with files over 200 bytes talking to a
> Linux NFS server (with both knfsd and nfsd).  It worked great when talking
> to other FreeBSD servers.
>
> Anyhow, that's just my experience so far.  I'm not going to run FreeBSD as
> a workstation again.  I'm thinking of using it as a server for some
> essential services, like DNS and mail, 'coz from what I've heard, it's
> really quite stable, but that's about it. It doesn't appear to be usable
> in a really high performance environment for say, web hosting, but again
> that's a matter of poor documentation and information. Where can I get

I'm sure it is useable for those who take the time to learn it. Why do you
think Yahoo! uses FreeBSD on their webfarm?

> information like this?  It's pretty sparse out there...
>
> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > > Well, that is encouraging...  I wonder if that has enough impact to
> > > effect a critical mass for FreeBSD?
> >
> > I'll just note that at least 1/2 of the people I see that start with
> > FreeBSD has already tried Linux.  I'm one of them myself - I started
> > with Linux, and tested FreeBSD due to recommendations from one of my
> > friends (now a coworker).  Using FreeBSD felt sort of like "coming
> > home" - the system felt lived in, with most of the sharp edges gone.
> > So I stayed :-)
> >
> > Eivind.

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message

"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?"
	- Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)