Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:18:40 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        meinreinhof@mep.nist.gov
Subject:   Re: Software management

--mJm6k4Vb/yFcL9ZU

* Mark <meinreinhof@mep.nist.gov> [20011018 15:17]: writing on the subject =
'Software management'
| Is there any program for software management, free or commercial? I'm
| looking for something that can poll a machine to cough up what software is
| on it to get a better handle on what patches are needed, licensing
| compliance, etc.

Lieutenant,

Are you running and thinking about Windows or FreeBSD (because this list is=
 for FreeBSD)?
For FreeBSD, I have a list of all the software installed in /var/db/pkg/ an=
d all I need
is a simple 'ls -al' to get the details. Maybe 'ls -al | lpr' to print that=
 out.
In FreeBSD, you have to be awake - always see what they have changed via th=
e web. That
way you'll know what needs patching. I'm not sure how you'll get to know wh=
at is 'commercial'
but since you bought it, don't you have records?

I sincerely don't mean to get at you. Maybe I did not quite understand your=
 question but the=20
simple answer is NO. Others might have divergent views (this list is about =
views and opinions)
and may even know better than I do, as it happens more often than not ;-)

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n i s t r a t o r
--
 Odhiambo Washington                            \\\\              =20

+++
Uppers are no longer stylish, methedrine is almost as rare as pure acid
or DMT.  "Consciousness Expansion" went out with LBJ and it is worth
noting, historically, that downers came in with Nixon.
		-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

--mJm6k4Vb/yFcL9ZU

--mJm6k4Vb/yFcL9ZU--