Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:10:20 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel build procedure does not update kernel

Hello!

I'm in a process of patching some 4.4-RELEASE machines for recent zlib
security advisory. I downloaded and applied the patch, rebuilt the
/usr/src/lib/libz part and then went through the usual procedure of:

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend
make
make install

The procedure runs through looking quite normal and gives no errors, so
I issue 'shutdown -r now'.

However, the uname -a output still contains the following:
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #4: Fri Feb  8 20:01:16 EET 2002

(Feb 8th is when I applied previous patch that required kernel
rebuild).

Also, the file /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL/kernel is dated Feb
8th.

/kernel and /kernel.old are exactly the same size.

On one machine I did 'rm -Rf /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL' and rebuilt
the kernel once more, and there uname -a says the "right" thing:
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0: Thu Mar 21 22:04:04 EET 2002

Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing, but I'm still curious why the
kernel build date isn't updated and why the size of the kernel doesn't
change. Is it possible to have a kernel config that "doesn't include
zlib" and thus the build procedure decides that rebuilding the kernel
isn't really necessary? My kernel config is pretty minimal on these
machines.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Windws is ine for bckgroun comunicaions - Bll Gats, 192