Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:00:29 +0000
From:      Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        RacerX@makeworld.com
Subject:   Re: System upgrade questions

Hi Cris!

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 11:38 -0600, Chris wrote:
> > I have a FreeBSD 5.3 release system which was upgraded with CVSup to
> > RELENG_5. I have recently built a new kernel, but *have not* rebuilt
> > "world". The computer now says it's a "FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE" system.
> >
> > This can't be right, can it? :/
> >
> > I think I have two options:
> >       * downgrade the sources to RELENG_5_3 with CVSup (replacing
> >         RELENG_5 with RELENG_5_3 in the supfile) and build a new FreeBSD
> >         5.3 kernel
> > or
> >       * rebuild "world" to have a FreeBSD 5.4 base system and kernel
> > correct?
> >
> > If I opt for the second option, should I rebuild "world" everytime
> > there's a version bump in FreeBSD?
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Miguel
>
> Here again - we have questions that are answered in the Handbook and the
> FAQ.
>
> If the handbood TELLS you you need to buildworld, why would you think
> you would not?
>
> I know - it's because YOU think the handbook is lying.

Thanks for your answer.

FYI, I do not think the handbook is lying. I have read most of the
handbook, but it was not clear to me that I should not track RELENG_5
unless I was prepared to rebuild "world" whenever necessary (which might
not be trivial as this is a remote system accessible only by ssh).

Regards,
Miguel