Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:58:01 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   Re: Patches to compile the kernel with Intel's C/C++ compiler

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:16:40 -0500
Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:

> Will some of these be reasonable to commit before 5.2?

All of them. Except for the "not_yet" parts of stdarg.h and _types.h, as
icc needs to learn the gcc syntax of the used constructs first (it's on
the TODO list @Intel). And except for parts where I get negative reviews
here (none so far)...

> Even if there are some issues, those issues will only
> come up if someone *does* use the icc compiler, right?

Yes.

> So, they'd be safe to add as far as anyone using gcc
> is concerned?

Yes, as I use NFS on my desktop I can't run a icc compiled kernel on it,
but I have (various incarnations of) the icc patches in the src tree
since a long time and everything runs fine (or better: not different
than for those on -current@ without the patches :-) ) on the gcc
compiled system.

If a src committer looks into them and offers to commit them (or
approves to commit them): the FreeBSD version needs to get bumped
because of the cdefs.h changes (short description: "cdefs.h support for
Intel's C/C++ compiler"), I need to know about them in the icc port.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?