Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 95 13:04:48 EST
From:      abrahams@equinox.shaysnet.com (Paul Abrahams)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Description of FreeBSD

Dear FreeBSD folk,

Here's the paragraph I've written for the Second Edition of my book
"UNIX for the Impatient" to describe FreeBSD.  I'd be grateful if you
could look at it and let me know if I've got anything wrong or if there's
anything that needs to be added.  Thanks.

Paul Abrahams

-----------------------

^{FreeBSD} is a derivative of ^{BSD 4.4} for the ^{i386} architecture
built from the ^{BSDLite} code and based indirectly on ^{BSD/386}.
It is supported by a team of volunteers.
Documentation is available in the 4.4BSD Document Set (Reference \citeref{bsd44}).
\query{We need a full biblio citation with exact title and publication
date for that (O'Reilly, ISBN 1-56592-082-1), and also a description
suitable for our Resources chapter.}
Information and program files are available over the Internet from
"FreeBSD.org" (questions to "questions@FreeBSD.org").
It is also available on a CD-ROM sold by, among others, Walnut Creek
CD-ROM.
Most of FreeBSD, unlike \linux, is governed by a Berkeley license that permits
redistribution as long as the code includes a notice acknowledging the
copyright of the Regents of the University of California.
A few parts of FreeBSD include GNU software and are therefore covered by
the GPL, however.  These are kept in a different part of the source tree.