Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:11:01 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9 to 5.2 upgrade stratagy

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 21:01 -0600, Chris wrote:

> I am comfy enough with 5.2 to do this. The big question I pose to you all,
> how would you do this with little impact and little work also.

It will have an impact if it's the same box.

Read /usr/src/UPDATING carefully.

1. Most likely will have to recompile most of your ports

   gcc2 and gcc3 abi is incompatible
   base/system has also changed considerably

   Some ports may still be broken on 5.2

2. You will probably have to clean up old leftover files, such
   as perl, though there is a script to check for older config files now
   with mergemaster

If it is a production server, you would be wise to transfer contents to
your new box and save the trouble of doing a source upgrade from 4 to 5
on a production server.

Do a clean install on the new one, install all the ports you need, and
transfer your data/config files. Keep the old one running. If there is
no problems with 5.2 on the new box/HD, switch and retire the old box.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT i386
12:59am up 12 days, 13:15, 1 user, load averages: 0.29, 0.43, 0.50