Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:13:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, ambrisko@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/8183

    ok, I've comitted a change to remove the signal mask prior to calling
    exec.  I'd appreciate it if Whistle could test it.  I'm not sure this
    is causing the problem, but it is the only thing I can think of.

					-Matt

:>     Anyone know for sure?
:
:It does not.  manpage for signal(3):
:
:     When a process which has installed signal handlers forks, the
:     child process inherits the signals.  All caught signals may be
:     reset to their default action by a call to the execve(2) function;
:     ignored signals remain ignored.
:
:Note that this affects any background program run via "nohup" also.  If
:you run "nohup program &", don't expect to be able to kill -HUP it
:later.  This was discussed a little on the mysql mailinglist, when
:FreeBSD people noticed that they couldn't kill the server (mysql uses
:-QUIT to exit, and nohup blocks HUP and QUIT).
:
:	-Dan Nelson
:	dnelson@emsphone.com
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)