Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:32:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        Scott Brown <skb@icey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions, questions...

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Scott Brown wrote:

> How can I login as root from a remote location?
Put yourself in the wheel group, login as yourself and then su to root.
Also, note that this is not so secure. You should have a look at the
ssh port, which is an encrypting replacement of rlogin/rsh/telnet

> Is there an easy way to create a new account?
man adduser, man rmuser

> Can FreeBSD support my old Thomas-Conrad 5045 Ethernet adapter?
just put your card in and try ;-) I mean: have a look at the output of
dmesg and in /var/var/messages to see if your card is recognized.

> How do I get Apache running, since sysinstall can't find it?
it should be /usr/local/sbin/httpd; if you can't find it, you can simply
get the package (eg via your browser or via ftp) and then use pkg_add

> If anyone knows of a good way to start learning this stuff, I'd like to
> hear it.  I'd love to get my hands on something like a big, heavy,
> 1000-plus-page Unix system administrator's guidebook, if anyone cares to
> recommend a title.
Who says that you need a 1000+ pages book to learn something well?
K&R "The C programming language" is 272 pages! ;-)))
Anyway, buy _THE_ book:
E. Nemeth, UNIX System Administration Handbook, Prentice-Hall.

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' di Milano, Italy.
"The time has come", the Walrus said, "to talk of many things".