Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:37:23 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Moving UUCP to ports

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

Hi all,

I would like to move the UUCP suite from the base system into ports.
The UUCP utilities have a security hole which yields user uucp access,
which can currently be leverage to obtain root access by trojaning the
uucp binaries.  This security hole is believed to be basically
unfixable due to the design of UUCP: we can limit its impact, but not
eliminate it for all users.

We can limit the vulnerability on the majority of FreeBSD
installations by making the uucp-owned binaries schg, but there are
corner cases where these flags cannot be set or have no effect (/usr
mounted on a non-FreeBSD NFS server, installworld run onto a remote
NFS filesystem, or into a jail, etc), in which case the local root
exploit remains.  Since UUCP isn't in widespread use today, I'd prefer
not to have these vulnerable edge cases in the FreeBSD base system.

Given these security issues, I believe this is sufficient reason to
compartmentalize UUCP away from the rest of the system, so that it
only affects those who need it and accept the risks.

Since the cu binary isn't known to have security problems at this time
and it's widely considered useful, I propose to leave it in the base
system.

I recognize that there are a number of people who still use UUCP,
which is why I've tried to make the transition process to using a port
as painless as possible.

Please check out the freebsd-uucp port and provide feedback on any
problems. You'll probably want to remove the following files which are
duplicated by the port (e.g. the /etc/periodic files will otherwise be
executed twice):

/usr/bin/uucp
/usr/bin/uulog
/usr/bin/uuname
/usr/bin/uupick
/usr/bin/uusched
/usr/bin/uustat
/usr/bin/uuto
/usr/bin/uux
/etc/periodic/daily/340.uucp
/etc/periodic/daily/410.status-uucp
/etc/periodic/weekly/300.uucp
/etc/uucp/call.sample
/etc/uucp/config.sample
/etc/uucp/dial.sample
/etc/uucp/dialcode.sample
/etc/uucp/passwd.sample
/etc/uucp/port.sample
/etc/uucp/sys1.sample
/etc/uucp/sys2.sample
/usr/share/info/uucp.info.gz
/usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
/usr/libexec/uucp/uuxqt
/usr/sbin/uuchk
/usr/sbin/uuconv

Kris

P.S.  Please at least try using the port before you send flames :)

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH--