Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:38:35 -0300
From:      "Henry Lenzi" <henry.lenzi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't find foomatic-rip on FreeBSD 6.0

I sent this to cups-bug too...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Henry Lenzi <henry.lenzi@gmail.com>
Date: Sep 9, 2006 2:30 AM
To: cups-bugs@easysw.com

Hello --

 I am trying to get CUPS rolling on a FreeBSD 6.0 with a HP Deskjet
840C printer. I have installed cups and all "foomatics" from ports, as
well as some other filters. I think there might be a bug.

 At first CUPS did not work because of the bug reported in:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2006-July/094331.html
Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lpt0": Permission denied

The bug fix in that report corrected this problem, and I guess FreeBSD
6.1 won't have that prblem anymore.

 The problem that remains now, however, relates to foomatic-rip. The
printer is detected (Device URI is "parallel://dev/lpt0"), but when I
try to print the test page, I get the following message:

hp (Default Printer) "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

I have no idea as to what this means, since it seems the path is
correct. Furthermore:
machine# ls -l foomatic-rip
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  27  9 Set 04:29 foomatic-rip ->
/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip

 Any help is greatly appreciated.
 TIA

 Henry