Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:20:39 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest binutils import breaks Alpha cross compiles

Terry Lambert wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> > > After the latest binutils import, attempts to cross-compile
> > > Alpha fail at the cross-tools stage of buildworld as shown
> > > below.  Please also note sed(1) complaints about nonexistent
> > > ldscripts/ files.  I suspect that "normal" alpha worlds may
> > > be broken as well, but I can't tell for sure.
> >
> > I am sure it probably is.  There is a lack of developers using -current
> > on Alpha's that progress on i386, IA64, x86-64, and sparc64 cannot be
> > held back.  I will fix the Alpha problems when I get a chance, but it may
> > be a week.
>
> I know: add cross compilation for Alpha to your regression
> on i386, IA84, x86-64, or sparc64, and that will catcth
> things like this in the future, without you needing to have
> Alpha hardware, and without you orphaning it as a result of
> your changes.

That's easy to say when signing up somebody else to do the work.

Seriously though, in spite of pretending otherwise, i386 *is* our reference
platform, and the "other" platforms require people with the hardware and
interest to keep it "alive".  This is the same with alpha as ia64, sparc64,
powerpc, mips, x86-64 etc.  If there isn't enough critical mass to keep it
going, then it is dead by definition.  Witness the mips port, it pretty
much never made it to square one.  I've done my bit over the last 6 months
to keep the alpha alive (ported KSE phase 1 to alpha as well as 3 other
platforms that I knew little to nothing about).

I dont suppose you actually thought to go and have a look and see what the
problem is yourself, rather than assigning the work to somebody else?

Cheers,
-Peter