Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:18:02 +0400
From:      "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
To:        "zarko bulatovic" <zb10948@oss.unist.hr>, <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD MIDI support

> Are there any projects regarding this topic? I recently=20
> started coding =20
> kernel modules, however, there are some design issues=20
> involving "way" of =20
> MIDI implementation, so i hoped to contact somebody who's=20
> working on the =20
> same thing, or to join develop. team if there is any project underway.

MIDI support in HEAD does not have maintainer, and, as I know, noone was
willing to continue its development. Hardware support is limited to two
or three cards. If you know MIDI well, you can take this project in your
hands.

>=20
> Anyways, the first dillema i have is about softsynth=20
> rendering, naturally =20
> early-stage drivers wouldn't use sc's onboard wavetables and their =20
> hardware means of MIDI rendering, so i would rather use=20
> software MIDI =20
> playback. Usage of hardware functionality should come later.=20
> The thing =20
> that bugs me, is it worth coding this inside of kernel=20
> module? Meaning =20
> that some /dev device inputs midi messages to kern.module,=20
> witch uses =20
> built-in software synthessis based on SF2 specification for MIDI =20
> rendering. There are already userland programs that do that,=20
> like timidiy =20
> and fluidsynth.=20

I don't use this software right now, but if they can listen on a pipe =
for MIDI
sequence than kernel "softsynth" module will not be very useful for me.

> Maybe it would be better to start on hardware=20
> functionalty =20
> at once, eg. pure device drivers that control soundcard's MIDI port, =20
> however, allaround kernel module should bring a decent degree of =20
> standardization. This is the way software MIDI is implemented=20
> on Windows =20
> and MacOSX, kernel mode rendering through software=20
> synthersizer (altrough =20
> i think they use DLS synthessis rather than SF2, but that=20
> really isnt =20
> important). So the question is, what is the best goal for=20
> MIDI on FreeBSD, =20
> a quickest way of controlling external synths/MIDI hardware=20
> (meaning ditch =20
> the software synth and set your mind on various hardware=20
> specs),

It should work in -CURRENT, but supportred sound card list is short.
It should be easy to add midi HW driver for your sound card, because
MIDI I/O needs only to "put byte" and "get byte"/"get status" to & from=20
MIDI port.

> or an all-around MIDI drivers providing playback without "3rd=20
> party" userland apps?

Not shure about this... It will be very limited, because most consumer
sound cards does not provide MIDI wavetable synthesizer acceleration.

Yuriy.