Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:25:00 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting TERM for ssh

I've been trying to log in to a distant account using ssh or telnet.
I get the following error message:
	tcsh: No entry for terminal type "cons25"
I've looked in the man pages, and it appears as though I'm supposed
to be able to change TERM in .telnetrc for telnet and ~/.ssh/environment
for ssh. (I'd prefer ssh, but I'd settle for telnet.) I've tried
the following line:
	TERM=vt100;	export TERM
I've tried ansi instead of vt100, as per Leahy's book, I've tried it
with a $ before TERM, I've tried it without export. ssh reads from the
config file to get User, so it doesn't seem to be a persission issue.
How do I reset TERM for ssh (or telnet) only, so the distant system
will do something besides generate error messages? Since the documentation
says that TERM can be reset for ssh, I'm assuming that it's possible and
won't cause problems. Aside from the books, I've googled and been to the
ssh mail archives, but I haven't found anything on this problem.

4.3 RELEASE

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak