Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:00:30 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm keeps showing me login window

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 02:32:14AM -0800, Ali S. wrote:
> i have installed freebsd 4.7 on
> compaq proliant 1600 with cirrus 5446 vga card
> i have configured X with "xf86config"
>
> but
> when i run xdm and enter my username &password
> it refreshes the screen and shows me the login
> window again...
>
> any idea?

You should have a script ~/.xsession which contains a shell script to
run the various X programs you require during your login session.
That script should not exit until you decide to end your session.
Typically that's done by running a session manager or a window manager
in the foreground. eg. this is what I use:

    #!/bin/sh

    # PATH is set via login.conf ...
    ##PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:${HOME}/bin" ; export PATH
    FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES ; export FTP_PASSIVE_MODE

    eval `ssh-agent -s`

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed \
        -exitOnFail -geometry 480x130-0-0 -iconic &
    [ -f ${HOME}/.Xdefaults ] && /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xdefaults

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash &
    /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker

    eval `ssh-agent -k`
    #
    # That's All Folks!
    #

It sounds to me as if your .xsession script is exiting immediately.
Try logging in on a character based console (ie. use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to
switch vty), and look at ~/.xsession-errors to see if it's printed out
anything useful.  Edit your .xsession to fix any problems and try
again.

If you can't get into a console session, you should be able to login
via xdm(8) using a "failsafe" session, which just gives you a very
minimal desktop with a single xterm window and no window manager.  To
log in in failsafe mode, enter your username as usual into the XDM
login window, then type in your password *but* don't hit return.
Instead hit the F1 key or type Ctrl-Return together.  You may need to
experiment to find out which one works.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way