Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:20:45 -0400
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bandwidth issues, how to adjust

	Hi all.  Ok, I've got an old P120 working as a low level mail and file
server.  Normally I wouldn't say anything about this since it is such an
old machine, but since it's plugging away so well and since I might run
into this issue with another machine, I thought I'd ask now so as to have
the info for later.	 The load on the machine is only like 2% at max, except
when transferring files to/from the server it jumps to 15%, but either way
it's a low priority, low usage server.

	Now here's the clincher.  Even with a 10/100 nic running on an equally
fast lan with an equally fast router/hub, I'm only pulling 3.5mps (avg)
across the lan and between 350k and 550k across the internet on a 920k
leased line.  Now I know that line can peg 920k every time because I've
tested it myself and that server is the only thing on that line.  Well ok,
I've got one extra workstation hooked into it, but the WS barely uses the
line.  SO I know I've always got the entire bandwidth 98% of the time.

	At one time someone told me that to fix something like this I would have
to adjust some buffers on the networking side of freebsd, but I can't
remember what they were.  Now here's my question.  What do I have to adjust
to speed this up?  I remember it had something to do with the packet sizes
in and out of the machine.  I know that if it's pulling 3.5m across the lan
it sure as heck ought to pull almost it's entire bandwidth across the
leased line without a problem because it's proven that it can easily
produce speeds that high when needed.  Since it's file serving important
files from time to time bandwidth speed is very important.  Thanks for the
tips everyone.