Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:06:06 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding Interface alias on the fly

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> >man ifconfig
> >
> >and look at the 'alias' flag.
>
> >			Fer
>
> Fer: Thanks, but I have read the ifconfig man pages and am familiar with
> *some* of its uses for adding/removing addresses, but, it is rather crytic
> to me and I am unsure about add another alias without it removing or
> replacing another alias (alias0 for instance) I want left in.

OK. that's what you need to do:

and that's it.

in your case, if you want to add that alias (the alias0 from rc.conf) you
just say:

ifconfig rl1 alias 65.71.135.139 netmask 255.255.255.255

If you want to delete an alias you say

ifconfig  <ifname> delete <addr>

Hope this helps. You don't need to run netstart again.

			Fer