Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:43:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <bowden@cs.odu.edu>
To:        obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996 obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> > Intel, MIPS, DEC Alpha and PowerPC architectures.  It is a lot easier
> > to administer than a Unix box.  It is more secure than OS/2 (certified
>
> Bull%*&t!  [I used to administer an NT and Unix network]  Individual

Much stuff delted.

> entries (one at a time).  Takes for ever to read the event log.

Installed nt4.0 beta on a machine last night just to have a look.  It's
Windows NT 97.  But the machine, sitting idle, doing nothing was
consuming 15.5 megs of RAM.  There were no applications running, no icon
menus up.  The only thing up was th one utility to let me look at
rescources.  15.5 meg, idle.  X is a bloated pig, but doesn't use that
kind of RAM.  My biggest problem with NT (and OS/2 suffers from this as
well) is the huge amount of overhead necessary to run it.  It's pretty
though.  It might take 2 hours to do one thing on any machine with less
than 64 megs of RAM, but boy does it look nice.

Jamie

I have my finger on the pulse of the planet.