Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:38:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, erich@lodgenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interest in a linux_crossdev port?

Eric L. Hernes stands accused of saying:

> Yea, I've thought about that a lot in the last couple days.  How
> do you say ``I want to cop out on this one'' without sounding lazy? ;-) ;-)

Plead busy 8) Seriously, if you hadn't mentioned your intention to
update the _lib port, I would have gone aheade with the slackware
stuff I had ready.  However, you _are_ better positioned than me to do
this, and you probably have more time 8)

> I've got a linux_lib-2.1.tgz in ~erich on freefall, I don't know if I'll
> have time to commit the port upgrade before next week.  I'd appreciate
> it if someone could give it the once-over.  For now, just extract it to
> /compat/linux (or symlink it to there). Here's the highlights:

I will try, but that will either be tomorrow or later next week; we
have a bench integration that will eat all of monday and probably
Tuesday as well when some twonk turns to me and says "we changed the
protocol for XYZ" or "we need an option to do this..." and I have to
madly scramble something together to save their sorry asses again.

> I haven't got a clue on the linux releases either.  It just seemed that
> redhat had a more complete set of libs than slackware, (but that could have
> just been an optional delusion too)  I'll see what I can come up with
> for the compiler and friends.  I think gmake would be a good addition
> so that we've got a make that defaults to /compat/linux for stuff too.
> anything else?

Definitely need a make.  I would suggest the whole chain; make, gcc (a.out
and ELF?), gas, bison, flex, all the binutils, all the libraries and headers
(don't forget the kernel headers; everything else ends up including them)
etc.

RIght now we don't support the Linux ptrace, but you could include gdb as
a goad for someone to fix it 8)

--
]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[