Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:28:50 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <redprince@redprince.net>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL only patents

At 10:44 16-05-2000 -0400, James Howard wrote:
>> Yes, I'm aware of this. Note that the philosophy here is that it's
>> OK if the FSF enjoys the monopoly conferred by patents, but not if
>> a programmer uses it to ensure that he is able to make a livelihood.
>> Another example of how, in Richard Stallman's "Humpty Dumpty"
>> world, some are "more equal than others."
>
>Does anyone else find the whole concept "predatory and anticompetitive?"

As I have just argued on the Unicode list, I view the whole thing as a
marketing gimmick. FSF gives away free software, then sells expensive
manuals and "support".

Nothing wrong with that alone, of course. The problem starts with exactly
what you said: FSF is predatory and anticompetitive. It has turned its
marketing strategy into an ideology: All software "must" be free, not just
theirs.

FSF also acts as a self-appointed messiah and representative of free
software. Personally, I have been writing free software for decades, and I
don't need anyone to act like my spokesperson.

Stallman did not invent free software (the article discussed in a different
threat clearly shows how the idea existed at Berkeley, for example), nor is
he in any way the reason many of us give our software away. I find it
offensive he is trying to take credit for other people's effort.

I view Stallman and Microsoft as two sides of the same coin. Both try not
to compete, but to control. Their tactics may be different, but it is the
same predatory mindset that motivates them. Just MHO, of course.

Adam