Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:46:38 GMT
From:      gavin@FreeBSD.org
To:        gavin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, gavin@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/123166: [re] CARP messages filtered by Realtek driver on > 6.2 (regression)

Synopsis: [re] CARP messages filtered by Realtek driver on > 6.2 (regression)

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-net->gavin
Responsible-Changed-By: gavin
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Apr 29 18:13:53 UTC 2008
Responsible-Changed-Why:
I'll try and get further info from the submitter.

To submitter:  Firstly, does "ifconfig re0 promisc" make any
difference?

Secondly, you could try getting the most recent versions of
the driver files from:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/re/if_re.c?rev=1.46.2.39;content-type=text%2Fplain
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/pci/if_rlreg.h?rev=1.51.2.13;content-type=text%2Fplain

put the first into /usr/src/sys/dev/re and the second into
/usr/src/sys/pci, recompile the kernel and test.

Thirdly, if that hasn't fixed it, we need to establish when the
breakage happened.  The easiest way is to try different kernels
(you shouldn't need to recompile the userland for this), and
basically try to establish when the breakage was introduced to
6.x.  Assuming you are using csup or cvsup to update your
system, add the following line:

*default date=2007.07.14.00.00.00

Then csup will bring sources down as they were on the 1st of August.
Recompile, and see if CARP still works with that kernel.  If so,
move the date forward, and if not, go backwards in time.  Some
useful dates to try will probably be:

2007.02.01.00.00.00
2007.04.20.00.00.00
2007.05.01.00.00.00
2007.08.01.00.00.00
2007.09.20.00.00.00
2007.12.01.00.00.00

i.e. in the worst case, you may have to recompile your kernel three
times to figure out between which of the above dates the breakage occured.

(For reference, 6.2 was released on 2007.01.15, with 6.3 on 2008.01.18)