Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 11:55:38 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, ps@freebsd.org, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: 4.0_STABLE Broken (was Re: FTP proxy without translation no longer working? (fwd))

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 02:26:50AM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> [...] It would
> appear that it needs some testing under -current and until it
> works flawlessly there should not be brought into the -stable
> branch.  At least that is how the current "release engineering"
> process works, right ?

Well, that's essentially the way things should work.  These changes
were first tested in a private tree.  Then they were brought into
current, where they were pounded on for a while, until it appeared
that there were no longer any problems.  Then, they were merged into
stable at the request of some -stable users.

Now, it appears that it broke some semi-obscure feature of the
kernel.  Well, I'm sorry that our testing didn't catch this earlier,
but that's life.  Now, there are two ways to deal with this:

     1. scream bloody murder, yank everything out of -stable,
        and try to get the problem fixed in -current, where it
        appears nobody runs IPFilter, or this problem would have
        been detected earlier, or:

     2. make a constructive effort to solve the problem.

Now, I have no major objections to pulling this out of -stable if
required.  However, before making any knee-jerk decisions, I'd like
to see if we can't come up with simple patch that will fix the problem
first.  So can we dispense with the histronics and put our efforts
into fixing the problem?
--
Jonathan