Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 06:52:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crash advice needed (long) APPENDIX A

> Maybe it was just the C, then?
>
> Help!  Rod!  8-).

Can I be Rod?  (Let's see, where is my curmudgeon hat...)

Early C's were aggressive with bus timing and they ran into problems
with substandard cabling.  Adaptec modified them to
slow down the REQ/ACK timing.  If you had problems with those early
ones, or if you bought a late early one, you will have resistors
tacked to the boards.

I don't think this has anything to do with internal versus external
cabling - I think people are just more likely to have lower quality
external cables sitting around.  I know I did - I had some external
cables that worked and some that didn't.  I had the board "fixed".

Peter

--
***     March 13, 1996: Our ISP may be GONE.  You may never read this.    ***
***       "hda.com" connectivity is now intermittent to nonexistent       ***

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267