Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:23:04 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about IPFW keep-state

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 05:57:30PM -0500, default - Subscriptions wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering using some keep-state rules in my firewall code, however I
> would like some clarification on what keep-state actually does...
>
> I read the man page on it and it says that this is a dynamic ruleset...
> which I don't quite understand either... it sounds as if it may be more
> complicated than it seems...
>
> Do the rulesets below work that simply? Or is there more to this that is not
> so easily understood? (such as a deeper ruleset for the basic dynamic
> rulesets to follow, modifications to IPFW, or NATD (which I don't use right
> now...)
>
> ex.:
>
> add allow udp from <myip> to any keep-state        # Allow outgoing UDP and

You might want to make that tighter,

  add allow udp from <myip> to any 53 keep-state

> allow icmp from <myip> to any keep-state             # Allow outgoing ICMP
> and responses (traceroutes and pings...)

traceroute(8) does send ICMP and ipfw(8) keeps state on ICMP by
passing any legal ICMP through the keep-state rule (e.g. if you ping
machine A, not only can the echo replies come back from A, but A can
send echo requests to you and they pass since they are ICMP).