Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:31:49 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unwanted sig24 problems?

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 09:05:03PM +0000, Mike Smith wrote:
> An odd one here; I recently reinstalled -current on my laptop, and with
> a kernel built this morning I am getting (important) processes killed
> with SIGXCPU.  (eg. the X server).  I start the server by hand, and I'm

Many (maybe half a dozen) persons have reported similar problems
on this list since about June; I'm having it sometimes in make
world, and it's not a resource limit problem. I'm running xntpd;
somehow it seems the problem occur less frequently when stopping
xntpd. I haven't tried recent kernels yet.

> So I'm fairly happy this isn't a resource configuration problem.  Any
> ideas?  (Very irritating this is. 8( )

IIRC, it was because the process CPU time becomes negative. Since
it's an unsigned integer, it's over even the "unlimited" limit and
the process is killed. Nobody seems to know exactly _why_ it becomes
negative though.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr