Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:20:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Subject:   Re: dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:22:43PM +0000, RW wrote:
>> On Wednesday 23 March 2005 06:44, Gary Kline wrote:
>> > 	The first CD boots 5.3 ad brings up /stand/sysinstall.
>> > 	Every options I have tries sees the "NTFS" as ad0s1.
>> >
>> > 	Is there another choice to chose to divvy up the drive
>> > 	to give me more than three slices?  This is where the
>> > 	handbook gets muddy.
>> >
>> > 	Can anybody 'splain this better??
>>
>> FreeBSD is not Linux.
>>
>> Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
>> primaries and an extended partition.
>>
>> FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put
>> directly
>> onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since
>> it
>> isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with
>> some
>> BIOSes.
>>
>> Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps
>> group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You
>> only
>> need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.
>>

>> > 	Which sections should I print out and go in a corner to read?
>>
>> The one called "Installing FreeBSD"
>

> 	If memory servers, the slices I created were
> 	ad0s2	/

Sorry for jumping in here but I've never seen a filesystem with a device
name like that before. As I understand it the device name reads like this:

ad0     <-- primary ATA disk on first IDE cable
   s2   <-- second slice (what DOS/Windows/Linux call a partition)
     a  <-- first partition (BSD definition of a partition)

Your list appears to be missing the 'a'. This would indicate to me that
you mistyped your example or didn't run disklabel (or bsdlabel) to setup
the FreeBSD partitions. Can one run newfs on the slice without using
disklabel first? I didn't think that was possible.

I know you can run disklabel directly on the disk (ie ad0) and you wind up
with devices missing the 'sX' part, like ad0a. I do this to zip disks all
the time.