Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 17:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      JTSage <wisesage98@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

Terry, freebsd-advocacy :

  Thanks terry for summing up what the deal is with this thread.  It needs to
"just work" .  If I am new to freebsd, what I need as the end product of an
installation is a system that I can begin to start learning, without having to
learn how to configure X / KDE / GNOME / etc first.  It needs to just work.  As
an experienced user, I need a quick install that does exactally what I need.  I
think these two can be blended, and in fact mostly are already.  All that
really needs to be added is an intuitive, informative configuration script, or
GUI, it dosn't matter which, that will set up X with the current hardware
configuration.  This will give an advanced user a jumpstart, and also an option
to skip X installation.  And, it will give the newbie a somewhat familair home
as they come from the MacOS or Windows worlds into the BSD world.   I don't
think the issue here is making an install GUI, it is making sysinstall
adequetly INSTALL a GUI, instead of simply launching the included xf86config
script, which frankly, is not exactally newbie friendly.  All the install needs
to ever have on the screen is one of these two things :

  1. A well formed, somewhat informative question and answer box that clearly
tells me what I need to tell sysinstall

  OR

  2. A notice telling me it is doing something, and an approximation of how
much time I am going to be waiting.  (I.E. "time to pee", "get some coffee",
"go eat a pizza and check me in the morning" )

IMHO, a GUI install would be a pretty bad idea, because the possibilty of it
not "just work"ing is too great.  But an installer that could set up a GUI that
would "just work", even with only a 90% success rate, now THAT would be great!

~Jon

=====