Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:24:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Richard Lyon <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to second hard-drive...

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Richard Lyon wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Well, my own experience with 2.1.7 and the following configuration:
> >
> > 	Generic 486 blah blah
> > 	2 IDE HDs
> > 	1 AHA 1542 w/HD + CDROM
> >
> With 2.1.5 and the following configuration:
>
> 	Generic 486
> 	1 IDE HD
> 	1 AHA 1542 w/HD + CDROM
>
> 	FBSD is on the IDE drive and NT4 is on the SCSI drive.
>
> BOOTEASY sees both drives, but of course you can only boot of the first
> drive because of the limitations of BIOS and the 1542.
>
> I use BIOS to switch between NT and FBSD. I always want to be absolutely
> certain that nothing NT can touch FBSD and vice versa.

FWIW, I have NT on the first SCSI disk, and FreeBSD on the second - so
there is clean separation.. I use the NT boot manager to boot FreeBSD and
NT. Works great - just use the "standard MBR" on the FreeBSD disk (sd1),
and copy the first 512 bytes of the disk to a file called "BOOTBSD.BIN" on
the NT "C:" drive, and edit the BOOT.INI file to add an entry for the
BOOTBSD.BIN file. I figured I might as well use the NT boot manager since
it was already there, and it has a nice little menu system :-)

-Mark

> The current rumour is that a certain NT defragmenter does a lot more than
> defrag drives (Ref. OP. Alice).
>
> Regards ...

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer