Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:59:27 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        "A. Satow" <mailing@toba.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM and 3.3-STABLE

At 04:30 PM 9/28/99 +0200, A. Satow wrote:
>Question: As dmesg shows the following message. Is this stable 3.3 ?
>
>    The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>  	FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Sep 24 09:43:40 CEST 1999

Not really.  Like it says, it's 3.3-RELEASE - 3.3-STABLE is the branch that
continually improves and periodically freezes into releases.  3.3-RELEASE
is a fine starting point, though.

>2.  Downloaded Base Delta and corresponding Deltas up to now.
>    .../FreeBSD/CTM/src-3/src-3.0200xEmpty.gz, etc.
>
>Question: Are these the correct Deltas I should use?

You should download src-3.0300xEmpty.gz instead (it's more economical to dl
the _latest_ xEmpty) but besides that it looks fine.

>3.  Subscribed to Mailing lists: ctm-src-3, ctm-announce.

Good.

>4.  Ports collection:
>    .../FreeBSD/CTM/ports-cur/

*big shrug*  I guess this is used to keep the ports in synch?  I really
have no idea; I've never used it.

>5.  BTW (just curiosity): In the Mailing-List index there is a group called
>    ctm-src-3-fast. What is it for?

No idea.

>I would be very glad to receive any hint in which direction I should start
>and appreciate any help.

You should look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CTM and
also at the -stable and -questions archives.  I know there are some
postings on how to use CTM, dating from when I was trying to figure it out
and there seemed to be only one person in world who'd ever used it
before...  I guess it's not very popular.  But hey, I like it, and it's
easy once you know what you're doing  :)

If you have any further questions, just ask.

-Charon